Code of Professional Conduct & Safe Practice
All qualified or student member practitioners of AcuC are required to observe its Code of Ethics, Rules and Regulations and Code of Professional Conduct and Safe Practice.
AcuC acupuncture members must observe all government regulations, register with their local health authority, and comply with all its regulations - Click here for more info
To use single use, pre-sterilised, disposable solid needles and discard each needle in a sharps box conforming to BS 7320:1990
All AcuC members must have full current professional indemnity insurance.
Declaration for Full Period of AcuC Membership.
- To observe Acupuncture-Acutherapy Council's Code of Ethics, Rules and Regulations and a Code of Professional Conduct and Safe Practice.
- As an acupuncturist, to observe all government regulation, regarding registration with the local health authority, and comply with all its regulations. To use single use, pre-sterilised, disposable solid needles and discard each needle in a fit for purpose sharps box.
- To comply with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) which replaces the Data Protection Act 1998.
- When using Moxa or Hopi Candles, always remain with the patient and never leave a patient unattended.
- To have full current professional indemnity insurance.
- To behave in a strictly professional manner towards clients and fellow practitioners, refraining from any conduct that could bring themselves or their profession into disrepute.
- To recognise the limitations in my own professional competence and not to give advice and treatment in areas outside those covered by my professional qualifications.
- To safeguard at all times, the client's right to total confidentiality and avoid using a position of trust to exploit clients financially, sexually or in any other way.
- To take a case study of every client and to obtain a signed disclaimer form prior to starting treatment. To keep and maintain accurate records of all treatments given to every client. To retain these records for eight years from the date of the client's last visit to you, to conform to laws on Data Protection and insurance.
- To follow good hygiene procedures and safe practice.
- To treat those under the age of 16 years only with the parent or guardian in the room and with their written consent.
- To never discriminate against any individual on the basis of religion, gender, race, sexual orientation or age and to act in the best interests of clients.
- To conform to Advertising Standards Guidelines and refrain from advertising on leaflets or website claims to curing any medical conditions.
- To immediately report any complaints or criminal convictions made against me to AcuC and to also inform the insurance company that holds my professional liability insurance.
- To keep your therapeutic skills and knowledge up to date with CPD courses.
- This code is subject to periodic review by the AcuC.
- I will inform you in writing of any changes in my mailing and /or practice addresses or telephone numbers
- I accept that Membership can be suspended at any time pending an investigation on conduct matters or due to breaches of the Code of Ethics, Rules and Regulations.
- Not to advertise myself as a student in training doing acupuncture or other therapy case studies approved by my training college.
- To make clear to all those who are the subjects of my case studies that I am practising with student status which must be with my client's written consent.